Sunday, May 04, 2008

Races this past weekend


Thanks to everyone that was praying for me. Becky, Caylin, and I went to SC and NC for some bike races. Friday night in the dark I raced on a four corner flat crit course that we did 70 laps in 1 hour and 16 mins. In the first 5 laps I found myself on the pavement with 50 other riders. I looked at my bike after checking to make sure I didn't have any broken bones or that I wasn't losing any blood rapidly. The bike however needed repairs. As I got back on my bike I was hoping everything worked as we hit 35 mph in 15 seconds. Why do I do this again? After another 10 laps I hit the pavment again. This time I should have used a little more sense. I overlapped a guys wheel and he had made an erratic move and need I say more. That one made me a little upset at myself. So after that I just rode easy and out of trouble for a while. Half way through the race I felt good enough to see what I could do. I moved up and felt confortable at the middle front of the field and then decided to sit in watching breaks go up the road. I thought about going up to them a couple of times, but I stuck to my sit in and wait plan.

As they were giving away 250 dollar primes and 100 dollar primes, I sat in the field. Then I heard nine to go and I was in great position, top 30. Every lap it is different, 20 pass you then you have to pass them the next lap. At this time in the race I have never felt so strong and I felt like I could do anything. 3 laps to go and I took off after another rider that I thought would be able to do something. As he was done racing with 2 laps to go I went hard for another lap and was caught with one to go.

God had blessed me with great legs and I tried to use them, but they were not what He wanted me to do. Maybe He did and I just learned how not to do it. Any way they caught me with one to go and I decided to try and stay up front after I attacked at 40 mph for longer than I should have. Well durning that last lap I found myself giving up and as I came to the last turn, bikes everywhere! I sprinted past 20 or more riders and then some to finish in the last pay spot for 30th place. http://www.usacrits.com/speedweek08/results/promen_spartanburg.pdf

Thank you Lord for me and my family's trip, safety, and health. Thank you for the lessons I learned and the people we came in contact with.

2 comments:

Feel It: The Factory Rider said...

Great Job! Sounds like you almost stayed away!

James Anderson said...

Woah! It looks like God REALLY blessed you! You were going toe-to-toe with guys from Rock Racing and the Colombian National Team! Good job!